History

In 1922 the C. H. Smith family gave their home in Sheffield to the Women’s Society of Christian Services of the Methodist Church to serve as a children’s orphanage in memory of their daughter, Ruth Margaret. When the need for an orphanage ended in the late 1960’s, the facility changed focus to provide treatment for troubled youth. Beginning about 1982 a shift in government support led to the development of the Smith Center’s current programs.